My daughter said, "It tastes like rotten broccoli, it tastes good!".

Monday, March 5, 2012

Up For A Challenge?

Wow, its been several months since I've posted here, but I'm really excited about what the next month will hold. A friend and I are hosting a "Processed Free" household blog challenge this month and would love for you to join us! The goal is to make as many reasonable changes as possible this month to avoid processed packaged foods and products. I already know I wont complete the month completely processed free since we are travelling several times this month and staying with friends and family who will be providing meals so kindly for us. HOWEVER......I am implementing some great changes that hopefully will make our home a healthier place.

Here are a few of my goals to tackle this month, I'll post the progress as some of its a new experiment for me!


  1. Making up a batch of shampoo/conditioner and lotion from all natural ingredients

  2. Minimize eating out during our 2 trips out of town this month.

  3. Swapping out my usual Organic Bountiful Baket for the Conventional in an effort to save a little cash and get a bigger variety of fruit and veggies.

  4. Make a bulk order of organic pantry staples, and make a bulk freezer purchase of certian items from Natural Grocers (its 3 hours away, but we will be travelling through at the end of the month) to keep me out of the grocery store as much as possible where temptation for convenience food abounds.

  5. Avoid all canned food, even those labeled organic since most contain BPA.

  6. Attend a Local Food Growers exhibition at a nearby college to seek out more natural grocery sources.

  7. Toss the plastic dishes and start eating on real ones!
Feel free to link up your own blog or leave a comment regarding the challenge, I'm always on the lookout for new ideas/recipes- here's a link to my friend Lindsey's blog post http://faithfulhomemaking.blogspot.com/2012/03/its-march-time-for-challenge.html , she's MUCH more prepared than me, and even posted her next weeks menu for a family of 6. Also check out this article "The 15 Grossest Things You're Eating" http://www.rodale.com/gross-food?page=0 if you're needing a little motivation to get started!

2 comments:

  1. If you do go to that natural grocer's store and see tortillas that have only flour, oil, salt, water could you buy me 6 packages?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very awesome!!! I don't know if I can do it to your degree, but we have been moving more and more into that direction with our meals... BB Baskets has really helped that effort- this week we got raw honey and wheat at great prices!!! Could you all post some recipes? I'd love to get a good collection going!

    ReplyDelete