My daughter said, "It tastes like rotten broccoli, it tastes good!".

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Not Completely Off The Wagon, But Definately Dragging in the Dust!

Wow, thanks to working on our new house and preparing for a move, we've all but fallen off the organic real food wagon this week! We've made numerous trips to McDonalds and Mr D's deli nacho bar, and with no time to shop this week we are out of healthy staples. Getting back on track midweek by baking up some healthy rhubarb bread sounded like a great idea, until halfway through I realized we were out of natural sweetener of any kind and whole wheat flour, so, I finished the recipe with refined sugar and bleached flour (gasp!).

However, I did make a wonderful quick dish tonight, the last of the brown rice in the cupboard, cubed butternut squash, backyard fresh scrambled eggs for protien, and some Braggs Liquid Aminos (soy sauce alternative), kind of a fried rice type meal.

Another suprising experiment I'm calling Pot Luck Popsicles, I started with yogurt, pureed plums and nectarines, vegetable broth (like I said, it was an experiment), then realized I had nothing to sweeten my very yucky liquid with, added acai berry juice that I can't stand the taste of and need to use up (this only added to the nasty brew), and in a last ditch attempt to save the project, added some of last weeks chokecherry syrup- amazingly, they are actually pretty good, although, I think I'll probably not try it again soon!

I'm optimistic about starting fresh this weekend with a fresh load of Bountiful Baskets produce, and shipment of pantry staples from Vitacost that will hopefully last the month. I started a new book called "Potatos Not Prozac" about sugar sensitivity, I'll let you know how it turns out, and incredibly, I did manage to loose one more pound this week despite all the junk food I ingested.

No comments:

Post a Comment