My daughter said, "It tastes like rotten broccoli, it tastes good!".

Friday, September 2, 2011

Success and Failure

Another week has passed, and I'm happy to report that I've lost another 3lbs just by making healthy changes (grand total now 15)!!!! I've been experimenting and researching this week, these are a few of my successes and failures:

My oldest child has had an extremely negative food attitude lately, everything I make is "gross and organic". We started voting on new recipes and experiments RED(dont make this again for a long time!), YELLOW(wait a while to make this again), GREEN(make this again soon). The voting has encouraged him to eat so he can vote, and a UPS delivery of organic groceries got him excited about tasting some new things.

I found a great facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1485047910#!/weelicious ,with daily photos of healthy lunchbox ideas, the kids loved the egg and waffle sandwiches, and all but the oldest liked the mini bagel pizzas. I talked to my boy's schools and found out that there is a microwave availible for the kids (hooray!).

We also made fruit and yogurt popsicles that tasted like smoothies on a stick, (huge hit) and made over a no bake cookie recipe with organic ingredients cutting the sugar by 3/4 and they were great! I made a lasagna with whole grain pasta, carmelized onion and mushrooms, shredded zuchinni in place of cheese, and a jar of organic marinara sauce, we licked the pan clean. Baked kale chips were absolutely disgusting, but I think I didnt make them soon enough, because all my friends that made them a week earlier said they were amazing, perhaps I'll try again with fresher greens. I also found that I dont like using honey in chocolate recipes, it tastes a little different, so next time I'll use raw sugar.

A nearly 2 hour phone call catching up with another super healthy mom friend gave me lots of ideas to try and products to check out, several of which I found at www.vitacost.com, a $50 order earns free shipping, and it arrived in just 2 days!

The NOLS store (The Gulch), suprisingly had very little organic selection, but I found some great organice stone ground whole wheat, and some organic pastas as well that I can buy in bulk. No luck locating fresh milk (possibly a lead on Goats milk, I've never tasted, so that might be a new adventure for me!), but I did find a Riverton source for honey, and its time again for another Bountiful Baskets produce delivery on Saturday!

My oldest son just walked in the house with a little red plum, which means we will be making jam soon, something I look forward to every fall. We are off this weekend to camp with family, and I'm sure we will be surrounded by junk food, but we will do the best we can to make good choices, speaking of which, I'm so proud of my hubby!

Hosting a client meeting for a large group yesterday morning he decided to take treats, instead of donuts, he brought muffins and bananas "in case some people were trying to eat healthy". His Dad however told him that organic means "food tht doesnt have the cow manure wiped off yet", we will see if I can change his tune this weekend with organic rasperry gelato and pecan pie (you know what they say, the way to a mans heart is through his stomach!).

Well, hopefully this week will bring more good food success to share, see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment