My daughter said, "It tastes like rotten broccoli, it tastes good!".

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Weekly Success

Its been a super successful week! John and I managed to make good food choices during the camping weekend, although the kids ate enough junk food for all of us (that's what grandparents are for right?!). I packed lots of veggies, grilled zuchinni, squash, and mushrooms, made fruit kabobs, and made our own sweet treats to be sure of what we were eating. This Gelato recipe was great, we used 2 pkgs of organic raspberries instead of strawberries, and I'm hoping to try it with the limes that came in our bountiful basket order with regular heavy cream, the whipping cream made it very light and fluffy, and since its thick, it finishes in the ice cream maker really fast!

Gelato:
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 pkgs strawberries
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup water
Beat whipping cream until the texture of butter milk, blend other ingredients and add to cream, freeze in an ice cream maker- makes 2 quarts. I think the sugar could be cut down quite a bit if using very sweet fruit.

My vitacost order was full of tasty things, so much so that I've already placed another order, and I did try the Kale chips again with fresher Kale, they were delicious, but none of the men in the family agree- my daughter said "It tastes like rotten broccoli, it tastes good!".

Kale Chips:
remove stems and chop
toss with olive oil and sea salt,
bake at 350 until crispy.

I'm still on the lookout for fresh organic milk and cheese, and sadly the mushroom didn't come to Lander this week:-( We're making quesadillas tonight with olives, zucchini and tomato slices, and fresh mozzarella cheese. My weight loss has continued without effort- 18 pounds total, and the food drama with my son has quieted down quite a bit. He even opted out of one of his days for school cafeteria food this week, and told his little brother "You dont want to eat breakfast at school, it isnt very healthy" :-)

I'm still amazed that I'm continuing to lose weight while eating whole fat dairy, and other foods that most diets black list, hopefully next week will find me a few pounds lighter!

No comments:

Post a Comment